The International Alliance of Dietary/Food Supplements Associations (IADSA), an association focused on the globalization of food supplement markets and regulatory challenges, is providing AHPA members with the latest international supplement regulation news through theIADSA Newsflash, a monthly e-newsletter.
AHPA is an active member of IADSA and is distributing the IADSA Newsflash as a member benefit.
The October IADSA Newsflash includes:
- Latin America has in the past month been the focus of some intense and very productive discussions among regulatory bodies.
- In China discussions have been taking place with the authorities and IADSA on the process of implementing the future notification system for supplements.
- In South Africa and Turkey legislation presents major challenges for many products.
ASEAN (Association of Southeast Asian Nations)
- Summary of ASEAN Health Supplement Government meeting
- Draft standard on sports nutrition food issued
- New Health/Functional ClaimsSystem agreed
- The New Food Labeling Act expected in June 2015
- First health and nutrition summit of the supplement sector
- Taiwan notifies WHO of draft food additive amendment
- EFSA publishes scientific opinionson DRVs for zinc, selenium andchromium
- New regulation on gluten freefoods
- EFSA publishes Administrative Guidance document on food enzymes applications
- Ethanol solubility specifications of polyvinyl alcohol (PVA) discussed
- Action level for Dioxin like PCBs inclays sold as supplementsincreased
- Germany launches list with permitted, prohibited and restricted plants
- Pyrrolizidine alkaloids in botanicals and honey under scrutiny
- Violation of the health claims regulation severely punished inItaly
- Europe approves health claim on supplemental folic acid and reduced risk of neural tube defects
- Public consultation on food supplements
- New bill regarding Food Supplements presented in the Senate
- Substitute Regulation for Natural Products Registration
GCC (Gulf Cooperation Council)
- UEA and Oman notify general requirements for Halal food
- GSO draft standard on food additives under discussion
- Health Canada consults on proposed pre-market submission process for food additives
- FDA warned about supplement claim to treat concussions
- Dietetics and nutrition webinar organized by FDA
- FDA announces public meeting on FSMA proposed rules
- Embargo lifted for dietary supplements
- WHO remote office to be opened inMoscow in January 2015
- Ukraine revises RDAs based on WTO recommendations
- Better regulation for consumer rights protection